Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pasgetti and Meatballs with Monsterella

Riley says words wrong. He does it all the time. It's absolutely adorable. I remember the first word of note - phrase, rather. It was "excuse me". Instead he said "me me" and I said it ALL the time. Then "phone" became "toe" and I called my phone a "toe" for the better part of two years. Now it's "TD" instead of "TV", "ridicleeous" instead of "ridiculous", and the list kind of goes on. I'm super grateful that it's just a matter of mis-said words and no real speech impediment. When I was little, I couldn't say my "s". I said it like "th". Sometimes if I don't hold my tongue just right, I still say it wrong. That's after a lot of speech therapy. It's really cute when kids say things incorrectly, but it's also unnerving when the shows they watch encourage it. Case in point, The Wonder Pets. I really REALLY didn't want him to watch them at first, because Ming-Ming the Duck says her 'r's' wrong. Now it's cute, but I don't know if it would be as cute if Riley said "Wiley". Anyway, I bring this up because, as the title suggests, today Riley busted out with "pasgetti and meatballs with Monsterella" as his lunch. It was super funny. I've started noticing that instead of correcting him I just wind up imitating him. I'm gonna say that phrase for the next 3 years, guaranteed. Saturday's are always kind of laid back for Riley. During the regular week, when it's just me, him, and Kellan, he tends to be a comedic genius. During the weekend when he has more than one adults' attention, I don't get as much hilarity out of him. As of late, Riley is very concerned with what superhero he is portraying. I noticed today that when I woke up he was in the same jeans he had on yesterday. Come to find out, that was intentional. He's the Incredible Hulk. No shirts, no shoes, no service for this fella. For Halloween he was Wolverine. It seemed as though the second Halloween was over, he and Wolverine broke up. He is also Cyclops on a regular basis, and The Beast or Nightcrawler on occasion. We're BIG fans of the X-Men around here. (By "we" I mean NOT me). As for Kellan, he's just a baby. I realized today while I was in the market for a new bottle that 3-6 month olds were supposed to use fast flow nipples. No one told me that. I don't remember knowing that with Riley, either. I don't know if I've been making Kellan work for his food the last month or two, or if he wasn't ready. Anyway, we're gonna give it a try. I'm a bit nervous. It's amazing the differences between Riley and Kellan so far. Both babies have been really laid back and cool about stuff. Both boys have been really sweet. But Riley was a cuddler whereas Kellan is NOT. And Riley was very easily distracted (although he had an elephant memory) while Kellan is ExTREMELY focused. It's just really interesting how different children are. It's much more difficult for me to make Kellan laugh than it was for me to make Riley at this age, which is interesting because Riley was in daycare. So, I wonder if my humor has already lost it's novelty with Kellan. Either way. Little boys are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment